The Witham, with its grand neoclassical façade, lends distinction to Barnard Castle’s market place. It was founded in 1846 as a Mechanics’ Institute and People’s Dispensary, with a spacious Music Hall added to the complex in 1860. Since then it has evolved through changing times, making a huge contribution to the health, education and well-being of the people of Barnard Castle and Teesdale.
Illustrated with a wealth of period newspaper reports, photographs, plans and drawings, this 48pp book – produced by The Witham Archive Group and edited by Tony Seard – traces the development of The Witham’s role through nearly two centuries, culminating in the flourishing arts and community centre we see today.
Proceeds from the sale of this book will be used to benefit The Witham.
Copies can be purchased at a cost of £4.99 from the following locations: The Witham shop, the Teesdale Mercury shop and Oswells.