Industrial expansion and years of destruction have almost completely hidden the castle in Barnard Castle from the town's gaze. Yet, a visitor during the Middle Ages would have had no doubt about its massive presence and suffered no illusions about its importance to the town and Teesdale.
This display of archaeological finds showed how we can learn from everyday objects, and use them to find out about life in Barnard Castle during the Middle Ages.
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, Barnard Castle takes its name from its 12th century founder, Bernard de Baliol. It was later developed by the Beauchamp family and then passed into the hands of Richard III.
In 1952, Lord Barnard of Raby put the Inner, Middle and Town Wards into the guardianship of the Ministry of Works. They are now in the care of English Heritage.
To find out more about the castle and the town in the Middle Ages click here
Archaeological excavations took place at Barnard Castle between 1974 and 1982.
The excavated material is housed between The Bowes Museum and the English Heritage Archaeology Store in Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
The Bowes Museum holds archaeological material from across County Durham and maintains the English Heritage approved store for excavated material from the County.
To find out about the objects on display click here